Saturday, August 14, 2010

treasure hunt.

One of the things Lawson wanted to put on our summer list was a treasure hunt. I have no idea where he got the idea from, but I'm so glad he suggested it! It was so simple, so cheap and the kids had so. much. fun! 

We only had a few rules: 1) Sophie had to read the clues out loud, not just in her head. 2) They had to decide together where the next clue was. You couldn't just run off by yourself. 3) They had to have good attitudes and be kind. (We had planned on doing it the night before, but some bad attitudes got in the way and it got postponed. And as mad as they were... I'm glad I waited. It was so much more fun for me to do this with happy, grateful children!) 

 Our clues and one of the prizes... 

Reading the first clue... 

I made it a point to have them go from one end of the house to the other, inside and outside, upstairs and downstairs. Lots of running around! 

The locations were simple: Gretchen's swing, the porch swing, jar of dog treats, trampoline, Gretchen's jumper, the fire pit, Lego table, Gretchen's crib, the mailbox and under Marley's pillow. 

They were thrilled with the Twizzlers, but I also taped a note to the back that said "Look in the freezer for another yummy treat!" 

The kids loved it. They were asking to do another one the next day!
It was so easy.
I had thought of the locations a few days before and figured out an order that had them running back and forth. It took me probably 15 minutes to write out the clues.
I never would have thought to do it if Lawson hadn't suggested it.
I'm so glad he did.  :)

5 comments:

Courtney said...

i LOVE this idea! i need to remember it...

amy said...

very fun! they look so happy! we did this on Christmas morning when the girls found their American Girl dolls. maybe someday i will blog about it... :) good luck with school!

Chad and Jody said...

This looks like so much fun! I'll just take the prize- you don't have to write me clues that have me running all over the place! :)

Julie said...

What a cute idea! I can see the excitement in their faces in each picture. I hope I remember this idea in several years when my own kids can read. :-)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

This is such a cute idea. I love it!