Saturday, April 12, 2008

broken things.

God uses broken things.
Broken soil to produce a crop, broken clouds to give rain,
broken grain to give bread, broken bread to give strength.
It is the broken alabaster box that gives forth perfume.
It is Peter, weeping bitterly,
who returns to greater power than ever.
(sermon quote from Pastor Dave)


I don't know about you guys, but I am so unwilling to allow myself to be broken, AND be okay about that. I want to look like I have my act together, like I know what I am doing, like I don't have any problems, like I don't ever argue with my husband, or argue with my children, like I don't worry/become angry when 10 pounds appear in one summer! etc.

And how sad, due to my refusal to be broken, God can't use me.

Remember Steve's message about Mary offering herself to God to be Jesus' mother? And Steve said that the heavenly angels must have celebrated when the message reached them...."She said yes!"

I want to be broken,
So I can be asked,
So that God can celebrate by saying,
"She said yes!"



A friend of mine sent this email to our group of girlfriends this week. I love it. You are amazing, GB. So wise. I'm so lucky to have you as a friend. Praying that I will learn to embrace my brokeness instead of wishing it away. Thank you for the reminder.

No comments: