Tuesday, May 3, 2011

zoo.

I took this crew to the zoo last Friday. Beautiful weather... the temperature was perfect, but crazy, crazy winds. Like, blow a first grader away kind of winds. 


Yet another reason I love my organizery twin, Danielle... she taught me the secret to really enjoying a 1st grade field trip to the zoo. The trick? Having enough parent volunteers come along that I don't have to have any kids with me. =) All the parents get my cell phone number and the kids get the threat that if they are not following directions... then they have to be with me. This was my third year doing it like this and it. is. awesome. Our social worker comes along and drives her own car. She is the big threat. She can put naughty kids in her car and drive them back to school. Miss Colleen and I meandered around the zoo... avoided the crowds... checked in with groups we ran into... enjoyed a nice leisurely lunch inside, out of the crazy blowing winds. It was delightful. 

And luckily... someone told us to go inside at the giraffe exhibit. We got to see this little guy... 7 days old... 

He really doesn't seem that tiny until he stands next to his mama... 

And the best part about field trips to the zoo?
These kids come home TIRED.
This is Misael... he. was. out. Sweet Ethan is smashed up against the bus window with Misael sprawled across him.

I love these kids. I really do. 
But this is my favorite way to do a zoo field trip. 
No question.  =)

3 comments:

Toni :O) said...

You are such an awesome teacher! Loved the photos and the crashed out kids! I was able to chaperone my daughter's first grade trip to the zoo last year as I had lost my job. What a blessing in disguise to be able to be a part of that day. It truly was a memorable one and my daughter and I had the best time! Thanks for bringing those sweet memories flooding back!

Ben said...

That's my favorite way to explore the zoo with kindergarteners too! Many thanks to the experienced teachers who introduced me to that idea too!

Danielle said...

Love the pics! Giraffes are my favorite zoo animal and I've never seen one that small. So sweet.

The class photo is perfect :)