Tuesday, June 24, 2008

memories.

Last week Corey and Sophie picked all the cherries off our little cherry tree.



Tonight he wanted to pit all the cherries and put them in the freezer.
I taught him how to remove the cherry pit with a big paperclip.



Just like we used to do with my Grandma Wells.

I remember standing on ladders and climbing on top of the shed, filling bucket after bucket with ripe, red cherries.

I don't remember sitting around pitting all the cherries, (it must have taken us forever) but I do remember the paperclip trick.


Corey's mom told him to put sugar with them before we froze them.

He asked if we used to do that. I couldn't remember.

Until we did this...


As soon as we poured the first scoop of sugar over them, I remembered...

frozen cherries... frozen sugar... eating them straight out of the bag... so yummy.

I don't remember what Mom did with the cherries.

I'm guessing pies.

I'm trying to talk Corey into not making pies... just letting us eat them right out of the freezer.


Sweet memories.

The cherries...

and Grandma.

She died when I was in 7th grade.

I wish she could have met these little people...

1 comment:

Beth said...

I'm voting for pies :) Nothing like fresh cherry pie! Your post brought back great childhood memories for me -- we had cherry trees in our yard! Yum!