Monday, July 30, 2012

random.

Confined to the house today... waiting on the a/c guy to come... we have the thermostat set on 57* and it was 85* in the house last night. Pretty sure something's not quite right. (And no... we don't normally set it that low. 71* was perfect in our old house.) So you get a random blog post and random pictures while I avoid my to-do-list...

* See this guy in the orange cast? He's my favorite handyman. He has been so good at getting things done for us and making sure things get followed through on. And he's done it all with a broken arm. 

* Gretchie found her little red rubber boots last night and thought they went perfect with her pajamas. It was hard to get a good picture, because she was so busy running and dancing.


* I was trying to vacuum yesterday and couldn't figure out why it was doing such a lousy job of picking up the spilled popcorn. Um, yeah... that would be why. This bag is completely FULL. (and I still haven't located the box with the extra bags in it.) 

* Our system of taking some things to storage ahead of time hasn't been fabulous. It was necessary, because the UHaul was stuffed full and there is no way we could have fit the entire contents of our house in there. But there have been so many times I've been looking for something and then realized, "Oh... it must be in storage." Not really that big of a deal, but annoying. I'm guessing that maybe that's where the box is that includes the vacuum bags.

* Gretchen is doing great at sleeping/napping in her big girl bed. The first two nights were a bit of a nightmare, but she got it all out of her system. She'll run through her little list for me now... "I didn't talk to Sophie... I didn't get out of bed... I didn't play with toys... I didn't cry." She's pretty proud of her new bed.

* Gretchen loves to look out this window at Maren's house. Yesterday she started yelling at me, "Maren's mom is outside!! Maren's mom is outside!!" She's like a little spy. (Minus the sneaky part.)

* It's so fun having them across the street. Meagan and I can each stand on our front porches and talk/yell. Maybe we need to get walkie-talkies, too. =) They also do helpful things like call us at 10:00 at night and tell us the back of our van is open. Thankful that we didn't wake up to a dead battery and a van full of possums or something.

* Gretchen used to love to look out this window at the dog house. It was a much prettier view when there was grass there. Our front yard was prettier with grass, too. Now it's all just dirt. Darn backhoe.
Gretchie asked me a few times when we were going to get a new dog for the doghouse.

* This place is starting to feel more like home. Having pictures hung on the walls definitely helps. I've hung up a lot, but I still have a pile of pictures to find places for. Which is kind of fun.

* The sailboats on the fireplace are not my favorite feature. They were covered with tape/painted over from when they did the walls and I was just going to leave them that way. Darn husband trying to be helpful. Now he gets all car salesman on me and tries to tell me what a nice decorative touch they are. But it's not working. =)

* I am getting tired of hearing myself say "GO PLAY!!" The kids got so used to TV/computer/Wii while we were working like crazy to get moved. They are having a bit of trouble adjusting to the technology time limits now. (But they have an entire playroom now!! Which will be awesome. Once I get it cleaned and organized it will be awesome.)

* We knew our last house had tons of storage, but we didn't realize how much we were going to miss that storage. We really miss it. (Although the lack of storage is causing us to downsize. I've filled up 4 boxes for garage sale/goodwill and Corey took 6 boxes to storage yesterday. My plan is that if we haven't missed it by the time we build... we don't need it.)

* I've tried really hard not to buy stuff that is specific to our needs in this house. This is only temporary. Corey is really hoping to be officially "on the farm" in a year. So I don't want to spend a lot of money on temporary things, but we needed some temporary solutions. I bought this for our upstairs bathroom that has one tiny little cabinet. I felt okay about this though, since it's such a classic organizer. I can still use this in our next house.

* I bought a smaller one for the girls' room. They just had too much stuff and not enough places to store it. There's really only room for one dresser (we're using Gretchen's changing table as a dresser in her closet. Which works. But we still needed a place for all their little books and toys and stuff. Again... it shouldn't be too hard to find a place for this in another house someday. Or my classroom. I could always steal it for my classroom.


* Our closet was probably one of our biggest struggles. Corey and I each had our own closet in our old house. And they each stretched a good 8 feet. So sharing a little 4 foot closet has been challenging. And apparently we each have a lot of clothes. (I WILL fit into some of those smaller clothes again someday, right??) I'm sure there will be some purging here before we move, too. If they don't fit or get worn in a year, they're probably not going to. One thing though... Corey's going to have to learn to fold.

* We still don't have curtains in our room, but isn't this blanket lovely??

* I nearly broke a toe last night trying to get into bed. Corey shoved all his guns under the bed on his side (don't go trying to break into our house... we've got guns. Several guns. Even though my husband takes so long to really wake up that he will probably end up shooting me if anything ever happens.) But he shoved his guns under and pushed my Rubbermaid full of hoodies out on the other side. (What? Doesn't everyone have a whole Rubbermaid full of hoodies?!)

* The laundry basket full of hangers really just needed documenting. We have a few (hundred) laying around. And that's after we gave some to my mom... some to friends... and put some in storage. There were two 8 foot closets full of hangers, remember? Any locals in need of hangers? We'd be happy to share! =)

* My kitchen sink faucet only stays on by itself if it is up full blast. Which isn't really that big of a deal... unless you're trying to rinse dishes and end up getting showered with spray every time you stick a dish underneath it. Which is pretty often, since we don't have a dishwasher. The counter top surrounding the sink gets wiped down pretty often, too.

* Something got spilled on my Summer Lists notebook one night and we didn't discover it until morning. It's a little silly how sad it made me. I wanted to keep this notebook as a reminder of this summer. I still will... it just doesn't look as cute.

* I realized the first week we were here what a unique move this was. We weren't completely starting over. We had lived here 2 days and I had a friend calling to see if I wanted company on my Wal-Mart run that evening. A few nights later, another friend called and took me out for a drive and an ice-cream cone. I have a lunch date with 4 friends from high school on Friday. When we moved to Newton after college we didn't know a single person. It's a strange feeling to already have friends, but still feel so out of place.

* My Wal-Mart and ice cream buddies... we go way back. As in, I can't remember a time when I didn't know these two girls. Pretty sure we all met in Kindergarten. So blessed by them and their friendships.

* I have a new friend, too. Although we haven't actually met in person. But we've emailed a lot. And we'll meet soon. If not before, definitely at New Teacher Training on the 10th. She moved from a district/town just a few minutes away from my old one. We have several mutual friends and they have all been telling both of us that we need to meet/be friends. So we're listening to them. =)

* She's lucky that she has me to tell her important things like the fact that our new school district dresses up for inservice days. Bummer. I'm going to miss my comfy sweat pants/jeans on those days.

* I went to a 3 day training last week and got to meet all the other 1st grade teachers for the district. I loved that. (Meeting them, not the training so much.) They are all super sweet and helpful. But it still blew my mind a little bit that we were all there together and there were 5 of us. I'm used to our district grade level meetings including 14 of us. Two of the teachers are at the school in town and the other 3 of us are at the outlying (country) schools. We'll do our district collaboration (called PLC here) via Skype.

* My new staff keeps talking/being excited about having "an experienced 1st grade teacher!" I'm a little worried that they'll be disappointed.

* The a/c guy just left and says that everything looks fine with the unit. Dang. He said setting the temperature lower isn't going to make it cool the house any better. If we want it at 70*, just set it at 70* and it will shut off when it gets there. I'm not sure it will ever get there, though. Guess we might need to invest in more fans. And pray hard for a break from the 106* weather.

* I haven't taken many pictures lately. I actually couldn't find my camera for a couple days. Now that I've found it, I'm trying to figure out the weird lighting in this house.

* Sophie and Lawson are watching "Barbie and a Mermaid Tale." I'm actually interested in the storyline. Which is a bit depressing. Not the story, just the fact that I'm watching it.

* Corey starts his new job on Monday. He's commuting today and tomorrow of this week and then no more leaving the house at 4:30 am. Pretty sure he's excited about that. His boss is throwing a pizza party for his last day tomorrow. They have been really, really good to him.

* I should really start dressing nicer, since I'm making first impressions on people here. It's like the inside out pants and baby wolves t-shirt all over again. =)

* Clearly, Marley has made herself at home here...

Enough of my random rambling.
Off to conquer the to-do-list.

8 comments:

Chad and Jody said...

It was good to catch up on your new life. Love Gretchen's bedspread! That was fun to see, too. Sounds like you've been pretty busy lately. If you're headed this way any time soon, we could use a couple sets of hangers! Our foreign exchange student comes in a week and a half! Miss you friend.

Toni :O) said...

OMG, I busted out loud laughing (sorry, not to be mean at all) but I'm just picturing the stubbed toe and all them guns under your bed...it's totally my brother and brother-in-law's house too! Then the last picture of Marley had me cracking up all over again, I'm a major dog lover. Glad settling is happening and best of luck to Corey in his new job and at yours. I'm sure he will love having that *extra* time with his sweet family. I loved the wedding photo too, y'all looked beautiful and those flowers...gorgeous! I heart your blog...so much and I know I keep saying that but it's true! Have a great week!

Frau said...

That wedding day picture brings back such happy memories...I can't really remember a time that we weren't friends. I'm so blessed to have the opportunity to live across the street (even if it is for a short time) from your sweet family and I'll do my best to keep the opossums from setting up shop in the back of your van! Love ya!

Danielle H. said...

I can sympathize on the guns under the bed AND the husband that wouldn't wake up in time to save us! Ha! The house is coming along nicely! My daughter hast the organizer you bought for the bathroom and we love it. Have moved it all over and it just is very functional! Loved this random post. Praying for a continuous smooth transition for all of you! BTW, how far away did you move from Newton, an hour or two? Hugs from the 106* state of Texas. Blah!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

I'm so happy for you that you have great neighbors, local friends, and a good school!

Your house is looking more and more like a home.

Danielle said...

The sailboats in the living room crack me up! Only because Mitch keeps saying he wants to disply his boat/ship models in our living room and I keep threatening to break them. Maybe the guys should get a bachelor pad for all their charming things :)

Butterball said...

I couldn't help but laugh at so many parts of this post... Confident only that I'm laughing WITH you, right? ;) And how fun is it that you're across the street from Meagan?

Amy said...

Just 1 hour away, Danielle H. Still close enough for plenty of day trips. :)