Wednesday, July 4, 2012

home.

I love our little house.
I have loved it from the first time we walked through it... 12 1/2 years ago.
When Corey and I first started looking at buying a house, he had two criteria... a finished basement and a garage. This house had neither. He's a good guy.

Street names are important to me. My mom understands it and I know a few others do, too. It just matters. Harrison Street was perfect.



Building this huge garage and driveway was one of the best things we ever did. The kids have spent hours out here! You wouldn't think a person could get that sentimental about concrete... but I know we are going to miss this driveway.

Somebody asked me a long time ago for a house tour. So I while the house was clean for showings, I ran around and took a few pictures. (It was pretty amazing to be able to take pictures and not have to worry about cropping out the messes!) I'll try to just "walk" you around the house... 

The view when you walk in the front door... 


The lighting in the dining room makes it hard to photograph. The walls are orange, but it's more subtle than it looks in these pictures. 


This is probably more accurate on the wall color...

My favorite verse...






This stained glass window in the bathroom was one of my favorite things about the house when we bought it. Two of the craziest things I wished for in a house were a cute little flowered window like this and a breakfast nook with a bench. I got them both.

We took the table out a couple years ago, though, and have never regretted it. This is probably my favorite area in the whole house.

This hallway/pantry/storage closet/computer area was just white when we moved in. I don't really do white/beige walls. I took a little risk with this lavender and have absolutely loved it!

I just left the door handles the same, but handpainted little flowers on them. Super easy and way cheaper than replacing them all.

Between the kitchen and living room is our little phone nook/desk area. I love this little area, too. So much stuff is stored in this tiny little space. I think I'm gonna miss this, too.

(Just ignore "Crocodile Dundee" on the TV. Corey was taking a break between showings. His favorite line? "That's not a knife. THIS is a knife.") 

Our bedroom is right at the top of the stairs... 

This little shelf area in front of the exposed chimney? This was a project that took 8 years to complete. It was finished a couple days before we started showing the house. Funny how that works, huh?


Corey and I each had our own closet in this room. I know I'm going to miss that.

The kid's growth charts are hanging in the hallway. Still need to get one made for Gretchen. Sophie's room is obviously straight ahead, bathroom is on the left and Lawson and Gretchen's room on the right.




Corey isn't really looking forward to moving this piece of furniture out of the house. We had a heck of a time getting it in here. It's all one piece and just barely made it up the stairway. Our 6'4" neighbor basically muscled it up (along with 3 other guys). He's moved away now, so we'll see what happens. It's got sentimental value though, so it will definitely be coming with us.

The "new" bathroom. Which I still love. I don't love neutral colors on walls, but I do love this gray. Really love. 



Sophie's room, but Lawson has been floating back and forth between the top bunk in here and his own bed for a year or so now. We've decided in the "new house" to un-bunk the beds and put the girls together. Curious to see how that's going to go.



I know we are all going to miss this huge backyard. It's the perfect yard for kids (and a big dog). So much room to run and play.






We have lived here for 12 1/2 years. 
All three kids came home from the hospital here. They don't know anything different. 
They are all excited about the "new" house and we are all really excited about the new farmhouse that will come someday. 
Big changes for all of us. 
I'm sure I'm going to cry leaving this happy little house. (Which already doesn't look so happy. Boxes everywhere... no pictures on the walls... patio furniture gone...) 
But change can be good sometimes. Even when it's sad. 
And I'm reminding myself of this... 
And that part isn't changing. 

10 comments:

Rich and Carolyn Dewey said...

A tip from my sister who was married to an Air Force pilot and moved A LOT!!!

When she left each home she spent time in each room, remembering the good times and bad, reviewing all the memories that room held. When she was all cried out and "memoried out", she said good-bye and left the room and never looked back. Did that for every room and when she walked out the front door for the last time she was ready to move on. It wasn't her home any more. I did the same thing when we left CA, even time in all of the yard, patio, every place I had worked and loved. And same as my sister, when I left, I had already said good-bye and it wasn't my house anymore. Totally recommend this process!!!

Kristin said...

I like how the chimney/shelf project turned out!

amy wade said...

your home is adorable, amy. but, what made it special is you. :0) God must have big things in store for your family! can't wait to see! please enjoy this process...it must feel amazing to know God has your back. ;)

Dawn Gross said...

such a cute house! your next will be just as great!

Ben said...

thanks for sharing your home...love it!

The Sieberts said...

LOVE what you have done with your home over the years!!

Danielle said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this house! But we love the people who live there even more. I'm boo hooing but it's a good cry :)

Searching 4 Simplicity said...

Your favorite quote/verse. . . I was reading my "Prayers with Purpose for Women" book last night, and that is the verse that just struck me as perfect for what I have running through my mind right now. Posted it on facebook last night, and then saw the picture on your blog this evening. :)

Frau said...

I wish you could move your cute house here with you. It's SO you, but you are right...your family will make each place you are special...can't wait to see your love and creativity come to Olive Street!

Courtney said...

your house is just adorable (well, your old house!) and i KNOW you will make your new house just as great!