Monday, August 6, 2007

school.

I know some of you have been curious about what is happening at school. Here's the story... we have 3 first grade teachers. I found out on Friday that the teacher next door to me is only going to be teaching 1/2 time next year. She will be spending the other 1/2 of the day training in Reading Recovery at our school. (Which is a wonderful thing and I'm very excited we will be able to serve more kids with this amazing program!) She and I have taught together for all of my 8 years there. (But she has 20 years more experience than I do.) Our other teacher is new this year. He has taught before, but only 5th grade. He will be awesome, I know, but will need a lot of support and guidance this year. (That's my official title: I am his "guide.") Today we hired another teacher, who will teach next to me for the other 1/2 of the day. She has taught for two years before, but in a school and district very different from ours. She, too, will be very good, I'm sure, but will also need a lot of support and guidance. I'm feeling a little unsure of myself, knowing that much of this support and guidance is going to have to come from me. Time to start pretending that I know what I am doing. :)

I will miss my friend beside me all day, but will have the opportunity to make a new friend. When did I get old enough to be the experienced teacher?!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you teach?

Amy said...

in the town where i live. :)

Anonymous said...

I take it you just teach 1/2 time? How nice for your kids. I'm a teacher, too. I teach in a small district and do so full-time. I'd love to be 1/2 time though. Sorry...didn't mean to get too personal...this is my 1st time posting.

Anonymous said...

I have been to your blog many times and LOVE it!! You probably dont give yourself enough credit for all the experience you bring to the table. In my opinion a lot of teaching or just dealing well with students/faculty and parents comes from the great inner being you are that has been there all along!!! I dont know you but you sound somewhat like me. I teach also but am not really a "leader" of adults or coworkers but of kids. However, when I have been placed in a position where I have to step out of my comfort zone I have realized it was there all along. I think you will do awesome!! Keep us posted on how things go.
Love your blog, you look like you have the sweetest family ever and your kids are just darling!!

Amy said...

anonymous-- I teach full time, it is the teacher next to me that will be 1/2 time. I live in KS. My husband thinks someone will come kidnap our kids if I give out too much info. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm new to the whole blogging world. I didn't even think about it until after I asked the question. I don't blame your husband...people do scary things. I read your blog often and enjoy it.

Amy said...

glad you enjoy us! how did you find me? do you have a blog?

Anonymous said...

Just poking around on the internet and came upon the "whatever" blog. Found you from there. Being a working mom myself, I was drawn to the fact that you teach and have a young family, too. :)