Sunday, August 26, 2007

i need some ideas.

Both kids are so into drawing, coloring, cutting, and creating right now. Which I love. And somehow Lawson is able to color like this without hurting himself. So far, anyway. :)



The problem is, my table usually ends up looking something like this...


or this...


They have baskets and boxes where they keep crayons, markers, glue, scissors, etc. but it seems like as soon as we put them away, they are getting them out again. We all eat together in the dining room, so when the projects take place there, some major clean up is involved before we can eat. We rarely eat in at the table in the breakfast nook/toy room, so it seems logical to me that this is where the art projects should be happening. But... when you walk in from the back door (which we usually do) that table is the first thing you see. Who wants to come home and have the first thing you see be a mess??

So far, this is the only organization system I've come up with that keeps the things they are using most right at their fingertips. Obviously not the best system, though. I saw an idea on a blog this summer that suggested little buckets on a lazy suzan in the middle of the table. I can visualize that, but what about all the paper, magazines, paper plates, and drawings?



I would love some ideas from all you organized, creative moms out there. Any suggestions??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a plastic carrier that I use for cleaning supplies. One half has divisions and the other open. Might work for paper on one side and the colors etc in the divisions. Maybe even one per kid.

Anonymous said...

We have the very same issue. I took cans (all same size) painted them, attached them together in a row. I have 6 on each side but they are all screwed together then I have handle that they carry it with. They can keep anything and everything in these cans. Now for paper I have an enclosed hutch that I keep all this stuff in when not in use since I cant do clutter. If you go to just about anywhere (even walmart) and just browse their storage aisle you would just be blown away with cute options. I wish I had batteries readily available to take photos...sorry. Good luck...by the way....your kids are off the charts adorable!

kristin said...

oh, any idea i seem to try quickly looses its functionality...except for in the classroom...home and school are so different, as i know you know...