Thursday, May 22, 2008

all done!

I will miss these little people.
As crazy as they've been the last few days...
As frustrated as I got with some of them at field day today...
I will miss them.
They've been such a fun group to spend time with.



The little girl in the pink shirt and red glasses... as I walked them out after school today, I see tears streaming down her face. I've already made them all give me a huge goodbye hug before they got their little gift from me. I get the absolute best hugs on the last day of school. They have to give me a hug every Friday before they leave, but nothing compares to these hugs. Huge, squeezing me tight, holding on for a long time kind of hugs. Even from the boys.

I got more hugs and more tears when we were outside. She wouldn't even walk by herself over to her dad. She wanted me to take her.



Now I know some of these kiddos are sad to leave because school is a safer, happier place than home. Not this little girl. She goes home to a wonderful home with two fun, loving, perfect-for-her parents. So all her tears... are just because she loves me.
And I know I'm not supposed to have favorites... but if I did... she would be one of them.

Thank you God, for giving me the opportunity to spend my days shaping these little lives. It is such a privilege.


(The glasses? The last few weeks of school we've been doing a "glasses check." I have 6 kids that are supposed to wear glasses. Only 3 of them actually did. We had a big poster that said, "Are your friends wearing their glasses?" and a marble jar. Random times during the day I would say, "Glasses check." Whoever was wearing their glasses got to put a marble in the jar. When the jar got filled up last week, we watched a special movie... and everyone got to wear glasses! Aren't they cute? Another teacher came in and thought we were watching a 3-D movie.)

2 comments:

Kara Janzen said...

Congrats on finishing another year! If you enjoyed this class as much as I enjoyed them last year, I know how you're feeling! It was a great class for me to go out on and I miss them all lots! It was fun to see some of them in your pictures! I hope you have a wonderful summer with your own kids! It was so good to see you last week! Keep in touch!!!

Amanda said...

It's so funny the ways you have to come up with to "help" students that young...like wearing their glasses! What a great idea..."glasses check"! You are such a great teacher and I know you have touched so many little ones, just as the little girl in the pink shirt. I will miss seeing your face, I enjoyed working with you. Have a fun summer with your kiddos!