Monday, October 17, 2011

branson.

Our school's fall break is a perfect time for a little family get-away. It always falls around our week of birthdays, so it makes for a fun little celebration. Last year we went to Nebraska. Corey and I have been to Branson a couple times, but not since Sophie was a year old. I knew he wanted to go back. And he's always talked about wanting to go in the fall when the leaves are changing. (That, and at Christmas... to see the lights.) This summer we found a great deal on Groupon! 2 nights in a 1 bedroom resort condo for $129. (We paid more than that at the Hampton Inn we stayed at this summer!) 

Our trip started with a bit of an adventure, though. When I booked the dates, I was using the kids school calendar as a reference, which said No School on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. We could get a better deal during the week than a weekend, so I booked it for Wed/Thurs. What I didn't realize was that Wednesday was actually a work day for teachers. A 7 hour work day. That we couldn't comp out of ahead of time. But... we could go in early, work our 7 hours and then leave.

So that's what I did. I went in early. Like, really early. Midnight early. (I actually went in at 11:00 pm. It just seemed less creepy than going in a midnight.) I locked myself in my classroom (thank you, Leah, for helping me tape over my outside window earlier that day!) drank a Dr. Pepper and worked, worked, worked. I actually worked until around 3:30 and then laid down in a beanbag... until 5:45 when the custodians came in my room and turned on all the lights. =) I don't know that I ever really slept, but I rested for a couple hours. Then I worked a little more... said good morning to the early birds that were just getting there... and was home by 7:10 am. 

I foolishly thought I could sleep on the way to Branson... which didn't really happen... but I did okay. Sleepy at times, but it was worth it. I went to bed before 10:00 pm both nights there (which is really early for me). It was one of those crazy things that just makes the trip all that more memorable. =) 

But back to the drive. My little people were wonderful little travelers. (They just talk to their momma too much!) They were super excited to use their new trays... 

I got the idea from Julie and it really worked great! The kids loved them... the magnets kept the markers/crayons/colored pencils from falling all over... the cookie sheets were a perfect little work surface. (And they're happy and colorful... which we know I love!) Even Gretchen loved hers! 


We were amazed by all the trailers outside of Joplin. Rows and rows and rows... trailer after trailer after trailer. So sad when you think about all the families that are living here now...

We made it to Springfield and stopped at Lambert's Cafe...

They did throw the rolls to us and oh my... they were yummy! Everything was!



We made it into Branson around 4:30. The trees were just starting to change, but it was still so pretty...

Loved our happy little condo. (The fold out Murphy bed was the kid's favorite thing!)

And they had fun hunting for snails on the patio out front...


This was the view from our balcony. No time to explore today since it started pouring rain shortly after we got there.

4 comments:

Allen and Debby Graber said...

Did you go to Silver Dollar City? My daughter-in-law and grandkids from Arkansas were there that day. So were the Stuckys from church.

Chelsea said...

That's crazy, I live in Springfield and work in Ozark - just down the road from Lambert's. They're actually a client of our ad agency for a project or two a year. Hope you enjoyed your time in MO!

Danielle said...

What fun!!! I think I may have to make the trays for my kids and nieces. Great idea.

TheUnSoccerMom said...

I've always wanted to go to Lamberts, but I'm afraid I would freak out if they threw a roll at me... I'm such a girl! I can't catch!! lol